CNCF Community & Industry
- Linux Foundation Kubernetes Certifications Now Include Exam Simulator
"New tool will enable those registered for a certification exam to experience the test environment before sitting for their exam." - killer.sh is now a fixed part of the Linux Foundations CKA/CKS/CKAD exam experience!
- #TeamCloudNative goes live with 10 shows on Twitch
"The community has now stepped forward to grow our presence on Twitch and bring many more stories into the spotlight."
Containers & Orchestration
- The need for slimmer containers
IMO the best point: "With the raise of containers, the burden of patching OS de facto moved from admin & ops people to developers ... but not every developer is aware of that yet"
- Architecting Kubernetes clusters — choosing the best autoscaling strategy
Yet another awesome learnk8s.io writeup.
A super interesting PoC which "allows for pushing and pulling directly to and from an OCI image registry running in a Kubernetes cluster without having to expose it publicly or privately." - This means everyone can push/pull who has the required RBAC permissions. Nice idea!
- HTTP/3 needs us (and other people) to make firewall changes
"Today I realized that the growing enabling of HTTP/3 means that we need to allow UDP 443 through our firewalls (at least outbound), not just TCP 443. Although in the mean time, blocking it shields our users from any HTTP/3 issues."
- Monitoring Velero Backup and Restore with BotKube
BotKube is a messaging tool for monitoring and debugging Kubernetes clusters. Integrating it with a chat protocol can notify you of specific events. This article shows how to use BotKube to notify on Velero Backup and Restore events.
- File Permissions: the painful side of Docker
This article was popular this week on Hacker News. While it is from 2019, it is still surprisingly relevant.
- Using Finalizers to Control Deletion
Ever thought about how Kubernetes takes care of garbage collection on resources? Here is your chance to learn about it!