CNCF Community & Industry
- Sole Black VMware principal engineer aims to diversify tech
"Bryan Liles, the lone Black principal engineer at VMware, discussed how he got where he is and offered suggestions on how to improve diversity in tech."
- CNCF End User Community Provides Insights into Kubernetes Cluster Management with Technology Radar
"...today [CNCF] announced the findings of the fifth CNCF End User Technology Radar, a guide to a set of emerging technologies based on the experience of the CNCF End User Community. The theme of this edition for the second quarter of 2021 was Multicluster Management."
- Writing a Controller for Pod Labels
An operator is a set of custom resources and a set of controllers. A controller watches for changes to specific resources in the Kubernetes API and reacts by creating, updating, or deleting resources. Follow Arthur on how to write a controller to label Pods.
YAML oftentimes is considered as one of Kubernetes biggest pain points. While it certainly isn't perfect, it does its job for a couple of years. A job so far no other language was able to do better with a wide acceptance. Still, it is nice to see that novel approaches are challenging the status quo!
- From Compose to Kubernetes with Okteto
TIL: there is a way to get Docker-Compose-like experience on Kubernetes. It's called Okteto!
A simple tool to hunt unused resources in Kubernetes, for some cluster a live safer...
Containers & Orchestration
- Release runc 1.0 -- "A wizard is never late, nor is he early, he arrives precisely when he means to."
Major releases always mark a significant milestone in a project's lifetime. Therefore, 1.0 is often considered as a confirmation of a project's production readiness. However, I assume runc is used in production quite heavily already...
- Using KubeEdge in the industrial internet big data center
In 2018, the Ministry of Industry and Information Technology (MIIT) of China launched a national innovation and development project to build an industrial big data center. Collecting production and running data from factories and sending the data to the cloud. And provide a unified controller in the cloud: what data to collect and how to process the data.
- Google Online Security Blog: Announcing a unified vulnerability schema for open source
"It is essential to have a precise common data format to triage and remediate security vulnerabilities, particularly when communicating about risks to affected dependencies—it enables easier automation and empowers consumers of open-source software to know when they are impacted and make security fixes as soon as possible."
- Handling Auth in EKS Clusters: Setting Up Kubernetes User Access Using AWS IAM
Deploying a shiny new EKS cluster running the latest version of Kubernetes isn’t the hardest task in the world. On the other hand, setting up the authentication is. This guide supports you in integrating EKS well with AWS IAM.
Data & Storage
- The HackerNoon Podcast: Managing Databases on Kubernetes with Anil Kumar
No time to read? Then listen to the product manager of Couchbase on why and how to run DBs on K8s.
- OpenGitOps - The Vendor-Neutral GitOps Project
"The GitOps Working Group is looking to grow its community and wants your help - if you are interested in participating, please visit the Github repo."
Enjoying these posts? Subscribe for moreSubscribe now
Already have an account? Sign in